[omniORB] Static build with GCC 3.4

Vladimir Panov gbr at voidland.org
Thu Mar 3 15:14:41 GMT 2005

Duncan Grisby wrote:

>On Thursday 3 March, Vladimir Panov wrote:
>

>>Actually, it is not a bug. They are fully aware of the problems this
>>optimization might introduce.
>>

>They might be fully aware of the problems, but I'd still say it's a
>bug. Surely it violates the C++ specification?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Duncan.

Hi, Duncan.

I'm not sure. It seems to me that the constructor of a static variable
should always be generated and executed, no matter what optimizations
are done because this changes execution semantics; it is definitely not
the same as dropping an unused static function).
But the GCC developers should know better (and I don't even have the
standard).
I find it interesting (and unexplainable :-) that only the static link
is affected. Maybe it's not a matter of changing the static
initialization variables, but some improvement in
linkHacks.h. Again, if I find a solution, I'll send it.

Vlado