[omniORB] Dynamic Servant Creation

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Jun 27 15:16:17 BST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June, Wade Hunkapiller wrote:

> Forgive me if my question is a little naive, but I'm pretty new to
> using CORBA and omniORB.
>
> Is there some way that when a client attempts to retreive an object
> reference, the servant is dynamically created (by the POA Manager?)?

Yes. You can use a servant activator or servant locator. However...

> I want to be able to retreive an object reference in my own local
> application, but not have to manually kick off the remote application
> that contains the object implementation.

What you're talking about here is creating a server process, not just a
servant object within a process. There's nothing in the CORBA standard
to do that. Some ORBs come with an "implementation repository" that
automatically starts servers on demand, but omniORB doesn't have one.
You do have to start your server processes manually (or write another
server that starts servers on demand).