[omniORB] Same machine connection and VPN

Luke Deller ldeller at xplantechnology.com
Mon Jun 27 10:49:28 BST 2005

Hi Ken,

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 11:00 -0500, Ken Ryall wrote:
> Since we only intend for these two to operate on the same machine I
> started looking into how to configure omniORB to work around this
> problem. I started passing "-ORBendPoint giop:tcp:localhost:" or
> "-ORBendPoint giop:tcp:127.0.0.1:" to both client and server. This
> allowed the initial connection to work even when using the VPN.
> However, the callbacks from C++ to Java fail so I must be missing
> something else.

You will also need to configure the Java ORB to use localhost.

By default, both Java and omniORB will:
     1. listen for network connections on *all* network interfaces
     2. publish object references (IORs) using the hostname obtained
        from the operating system

You have reconfigured omniORB to use only localhost for both of the
above by using the "endPoint" option.

I'm not sure how to reconfigure the Java ORB to listen only on
localhost, but I know that you can adjust the hostname published in IORs
from the Java ORB by using the java property called
"com.sun.CORBA.ORBServerHost":

   java -Dcom.sun.CORBA.ORBServerHost=127.0.0.1 ...

If this is not sufficient to keep your firewall software happy, then you
might like to try out another Java ORB such as JacORB which may be more configurable:

http://www.jacorb.org/

Regards,
Luke.

(sorry about the previous incomplete reply which was accidentally sent)