[omniORB] Re: Testing OmniORB4 for memory leaks on Linux RH9 w/ valgrind

Sean Parker supinlick at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 17:40:56 BST 2005

Bruce -

> --- "Visscher, Bruce" <VISSCHB at RJRT.com> wrote:
<snip>>
> Sounds like a Linux pthreads issue to me.  Do you loose
> 8K for each
> thread allocated?

I agree - exact same thing happens in my framework where I
use pthreads - it's just once per app run regardless of how
many threads are used (one of my tests starts hundreds of
threads)...

> If that isn't the case, then maybe
> it's just
> a one time allocation so doesn't really qualify as a
> leak.

Of course I'd preferably like to run valgrind "out of the
box" and have a 'clean' app result in 'no valgrind output
listings'

> >   2) several "use of uninitialized bytes"
>
> I'm not familiar with valgrind, but a couple of places
> where these
> are reported frequently are:
>
> (1) Complete red herring.  E.g., instances of
> std::allocator which
> should really be empty but (depending on the
> implementation of both
> the compiler and the library) are not optimized away.  Of
> course,
> omniORB doesn't utilize std::allocator so this has
> nothing to do
> with omniORB.  But it could be something similar.
>
> (2) Part of the IOR used to be uninitialized memory.
> iirc, it was
> part of the "private" section of the stringified IOR so
> it can be
> anything the implementation desires.

In my code, I get this uninitialized-issue in lots of
ridiculous places, like:

  while( x >> y )
  {...}

  valgrind complains that the while value is unitialized -
certainly a valgrind question... I was hoping someone would
have insight like - "Oh all you need to do to avoid that
is..." or "technically you should do ... before..."

> I am actually glad that I wasn't able to completely
> dissuade you from
> pursuing this.

"I come from a line of mentors that don't give up..." :-)

> Just thought you should know you're not
> the first
> to think about this.

I'm glad I'm not the first! so I can focus on ME being the
idiot! :-)

> Maybe you will find a bug no one
> else has.
>
> Bruce

If I do, I'd be 'the man' - but I'm not a coding God by any
means...

Sean

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any
>  attachment(s),
> contains information that may be confidential,  protected
> by the attorney-
> client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary
> non-public
> information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of
> this message or an
> authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please
> notify the sender by
> replying to this message and  then delete it from your
> system.  Use,
> dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this
> message and/or any of
> its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not
> authorized and
> may be unlawful.

God Bless
    Sean Parker