[omniORB] Re: Testing OmniORB4 for memory leaks on Linux RH9 w/ valgrind

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB at RJRT.com
Thu Jun 9 15:25:19 BST 2005

Sounds like a Linux pthreads issue to me.  Do you loose 8K for each
thread allocated?  If that isn't the case, then maybe it's just
a one time allocation so doesn't really qualify as a leak.

>   2) several "use of uninitialized bytes"

I'm not familiar with valgrind, but a couple of places where these
are reported frequently are:

(1) Complete red herring.  E.g., instances of std::allocator which
should really be empty but (depending on the implementation of both
the compiler and the library) are not optimized away.  Of course,
omniORB doesn't utilize std::allocator so this has nothing to do
with omniORB.  But it could be something similar.

(2) Part of the IOR used to be uninitialized memory.  iirc, it was
part of the "private" section of the stringified IOR so it can be
anything the implementation desires.

I am actually glad that I wasn't able to completely dissuade you from
pursuing this.  Just thought you should know you're not the first
to think about this.  Maybe you will find a bug no one else has.

Bruce

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.