[omniORB] Testing OmniORB4 for memory leaks on Linux RH9

Sean Parker supinlick at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 14:04:17 BST 2005

Hello -

  I'm trying to begin using an ORB 'right' on our project
and taking small steps... (I have > 5yrs exp w/ CORBA, but
new to C++ ORBs - I'm also <2yrs on Linux too)
  So using mtrace, and doing an ORB_init() then immediately
an orb->destroy, then stopping mtrace, shows many (>40
separate) allocations (ranging from 0x4 to 0x100 bytes).
Are these 'static' allocations? Has anyone else done
this/seen this behavior with mtrace? (I have a testing
framework using mtrace, and I'm confident it's the ORB-part
due to no memory leaks when I comment-out the
ORB_init/destroy)

  For giggles, I tried activating the POAManager in
between, and it showed only several more allocations.

  If anyone has experience w/ mtrace and omniORB4, please
send confidence/lessons learned, etc. I'd like to use
omniORB4, but can't if these are legitimate (unwanted)
leaks.

  Cheers,
     Sean

P.S. I found the user manual very easy to follow, and a few
steps above any other ORB user guides I've seen (but of
course that hinges on my level of experience...)
It would be nice to have a section on troubleshooting build
issues (ie. what happens when the libraries are out of
order for ld/gcc linking)

God Bless
    Sean Parker