[omniORB] omniNames sufficient for persistent objects?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jul 22 11:41:27 BST 2005

On Wednesday 20 July, "Peter Fischer" wrote:

> So I have the fundamental question whether per default objects bound
> in  the naming service omniNames are persistent already or I have to
> ensure  that the POA is persistent additionally?

The naming service is an incredibly simple thing. It just maps names to
object references. That is all. It doesn't know or care whether the
objects are persistent or not. That is an issue for the server
implementation.

You must use a persistent POA, and you must make sure the server always
starts with the same endpoint information.

> Also I wanted to ask whether ones could post me a code snippet how to
> deal  with dangling bindings like mentioned at the end of chapter
> 18.11 in the  book "Advanced CORBA Programming with C++", 4th printing?
> And is it possible to restart the server automatically from CORBA and
> not  by hand (using Implementation Repositories I heared)?

In theory, you could use an implementation repository to start servers
on demand, but omniORB does not have one.