[omniORB] omniORB without DSI/DII

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jul 22 11:37:46 BST 2005

On Wednesday 20 July, Peter Schaefer-Hutter wrote:

> Basically i want to achive a minimum CORBA environment
> (http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/02-08-01), however with
> Event- and Naming-Service.
>
> MinimumCORBA basically strips away DII, DSI and DynAny. Regarding
> the Event-Service in this environment: Does Any really require
> DynAny also?

Any doesn't need DynAny, so you could get rid of that. You can also get
rid of quite a lot of other things, with a bit of work.

First, _omniidlmodule is part of the IDL compiler, so you don't need
that at all.

libCOS and libCOSDynamic contain the stubs and skeletons for quite a lot
of the CORBA services. You can modify the makefiles to only include the
bare minimum required by the event service. I don't think you need
libCOSDynamic at all, unless you are putting types defined in the
services into Anys.

After that, you need to start hacking the code. In the dynamic library,
you can get rid of DynAny and DSI, but not DII because omniEvents uses
it.

Candidates in the ORB core library are the unix domain socket
implementation, the transport rules, fixed point, code set conversion,
perhaps the current object, uri parsing, and maybe some others. Removing
those things will involve changing various bits of code, but it
shouldn't be too hard.

You might also want to look at omniORB 4.1, which is nearly in beta,
since the Any implementation in that is significantly more compact.