[omniORB] Bug in omniOrb thread handling?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 21 18:19:52 BST 2005

On Friday 15 July, Thomas Richter wrote:

> I've scanned thru the source, but found nowhere any "pthread_join"
> that could have been called. Thus to my analysis, the zombies remain
> around here because they are never joined back when they die away, and
> at some point the process table just overruns. At that point, the
> communication from clients to the server breaks down because no
> working thread can be allocated for a new task at hand.

The vast majority of the threads in omniORB, including all the ones
created by the invoker, are detached, so they cannot be joined with
pthread_join. That's why there's no code to join them. That is most
definitely not the problem.

I have seen problems on old Linux kernel and glibc versions that cause
threads to turn into zombies. One circumstance is if threads fork child
processes, sometimes either the children or the threads end up
zombified. You might like to see if there are updates for glibc and the
kernel for your Linux version.

I don't think this can be a problem in omniORB, because if it was, it
would happen for everyone, and clearly it doesn't.