[omniORB] omniNames sufficient for persistent objects?

Peter Fischer pfischer at ira.uka.de
Wed Jul 20 20:17:37 BST 2005

Hello,

I use omniNames and want to ensure that, if my server application crashes,
it can be restarted without also having the clients which have object
references to it also to be restarted.
Most of the time it seems to work already, but sometimes there is no
answer of the newly started server to the clients but also no error
messages, i.e. the CORBA connection seems to work.
Some time ago I read about a bug in omniNames getting confused/messed up
when garbage is written into it?
So I have the fundamental question whether per default objects bound in
the naming service omniNames are persistent already or I have to ensure
that the POA is persistent additionally?
Also I wanted to ask whether ones could post me a code snippet how to deal
with dangling bindings like mentioned at the end of chapter 18.11 in the
book "Advanced CORBA Programming with C++", 4th printing?
And is it possible to restart the server automatically from CORBA and not
by hand (using Implementation Repositories I heared)?

Thank you in advance for answering me,

many greetings,

Peter.