[omniORB] Uninitialized memory read errors reported in omniORB

Alex Tingle alex.omniorb at firetree.net
Thu Feb 24 23:26:51 GMT 2005

Hi Duncan,

Hope you're getting back to normal after your burglary.

Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:

> > UMR: Uninitialized memory read (3 times):
> >    * This is occurring while in:
> > 	_so_send       [libc.so.1]
> > 	int omni::tcpConnection::Send(void*,unsigned,unsigned
>
> This is unused padding bytes in GIOP messages. It's not a problem.

Is there some way to initialise these bytes anyway?

I'm marshaling CORBA types into a file (via cdrMemoryStream), and then later unmarshaling them. To test that everything is getting re-created correctly, I'd like to compare what I've got in supposedly identical files. Sadly I'm seeing occasional differences between my files.

I *think* these differences are simply the result of uninitialised padding, but it's hard to be sure. So is there any way to *make* omniORB initialise these bytes?

(I'm already constructing my cdrMemoryStream with clearMemory=true, but that only clears the memory allocated by that class, not any buffers allocated by other marshaling code.)

-Alex

--
:: alex tingle
:: http://www.firetree.net/consulting/