[omniORB] LOCATION_FORWARD Replies & Client Connection Releases

Wilson Jimmy - jiwils Jimmy.Wilson at acxiom.com
Thu Feb 3 17:05:37 GMT 2005

I've been using omniORB since the 1.x versions, and I swear I remember that
it used to behave a bit differently on the client side when given a
LOCATION_FORWARD reply.

Before the 2.x versions, I thought that after a LOCATION_FORWARD was
received and the connection to the new reference was made that omniORB would
close the original socket connection.  Did this ever happen or was I
dreaming?  It definitely does not seem to happen now.

Curiously, would it be ok *if* an ORB behaved this way?  I can see that with
a long running client application, this might be useful.  Granted setting
the idle timeout will do the job, but doesn't the LOCATION_FORWARD almost
imply that the original connection is not needed (if the forward reference
is not located on the same host/port)?

Jimmy
--
James "Jimmy" Wilson
Software Developer, Acxiom Corporation

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.