[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.7 and omniORBpy 2.7 soon

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Dec 30 19:05:28 GMT 2005

On Monday 19 December, Bill Noon wrote:

> Duncan -- Here is a patch to configure in omniORBpy 3.0 to enable it
> to use the correct python package directory on MacOSX.  Both the Apple
> shipped and pythonmac.org versions of python use the MacOSX directory
> scheme even if the python executable is linked to /usr/bin/python or
> /usr/local/bin/python.  The site-packages directory is in either
> /System/Library/Frameworks/... or /Library/Frameworks/... depending on
> which python is used.
>
> Distutils knows the difference and the correct location, the following
> changes configure to use the values returned from distutils.sysconfig.

OK. You can't just edit the configure script, though -- configure is
generated by autoconf. The code that looks for Python and its paths is
part of automake. It's triggered by presence of the line in configure.ac
that says "AM_PATH_PYTHON". Running the aclocal command puts the
definitions of AM_PATH_PYTHON into aclocal.m4. It's those definitions
that need to change.

Ideally you'd get the change integrated into automake, but failing that
we can make our own copy of AM_PATH_PYTHON in acinclude.m4, with a
different name. The next thing you should try to work out is how to
change the AM_PATH_PYTHON definition to do the stuff you need. Take heed
of the comments in it about Python 1.5 not having distutils.