[omniORB] ORB running without being started

Clark, Steven L steven.l.clark at goodrich.com
Thu Dec 1 14:46:28 GMT 2005

Hi there,

I've encountered behaviour that I wasn't expecting and I wonder if
someone could explain what's going on.

Essentially I have a server process that initialises the ORB, gets hold
of the POAManager and activates it. The program then creates a servant
object and gets the POA to activate it. *At no point is ORB.run()
called.*

I then have a second process that is started with the IOR of the created
servant passed to it as an argument. This program also initialises the
ORB, gets hold of the POAManager and activates it. It then uses the ORB
to resolve the IOR into an object reference for the servant and calls a
method on the servant. At this point I was expecting the call to fail as
the event loop on the server wasn't running. Instead the call was
successful.

Upon further investigation it seemed as though I could shut the ORB down
on the server before the attempt to contact the servant was made and
then the call to the servant would correctly fail. What I don't
understand is how the ORB event loop started running in the first place.

Any insights would be welcome.

Cheers,

Steve.