[omniORB] RE: XML over Corba?

Fox, Chuck (Civ, ARL/CISD) cfox at arl.army.mil
Thu Aug 18 08:50:31 BST 2005

>Hello,
>
>I'm  just  a  poor  Python scripting dilettant, so please bear with my
>ignorance...
>
>If, one needs/wants to transport XML over Corba, what are the possible
>ways  to  do  it  (especially  in  Python), what would be the relevant
>criteria  for  selecting the most reasonable way and what would be the
>most reasonable way depending on the type of application?
>
>I could think of the following ways to do it:
>- as a "flat" string (requires serialisation and re-parsing)
>- as a parsed Python object (bulky?)
>- some kind of mapping halfway in between?
>
>I   read  about  a  "DOM/value  mapping"  officially  defined  by  OMG
>themselves,  is  this  something that needs to be supported by the ORB
>("valuetype")? And how can one use it from Python?
>
>TIA,
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Wolfgang Keller
>
>--
>P.S.: My From-address is correct

I've used omniORB for sending XML docs across the wire, but I've used the 'flat'
model you describe, so omniORB itself does not know anything about the contents of
the data.  I'm using the cElementTree module for XML parsing and have found it to
be pretty fast at simply reconstructing the Python object tree on the fly from the
raw XML.  One thing I do is to use zlib for compressing the XML before I push it over
the wire with omniORB which is good for reducing traffic on larger XML docs.
I hope this helps, I've found that leaving all the magical semantics of XML to a
higher-layer and letting CORBA handle the plumbing has worked fine for me, but some
other developers might have their own solutions too.
     -- Chuck