[omniORB] omniEvents 2.6.1 install error on irix6

Gary Duzan gduzan at bbn.com
Mon Apr 25 11:23:52 BST 2005

In Message <20050423153145.31c56be9 at localhost.localdomain> ,
   Alex Tingle <alex at firetree.net> wrote:

=>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:50:28 +0200
=>Maks Verver <m.verver at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
=>
=>> The thing is that temporaries are always const objects.
=>> Therefore,  WriteLock().os is a const object and cannot be
=>> passed to output() which  expects a non-const reference
=>> argument.
=>>
=>> [ ... ]
=>
=> [ ... ]
=>
=>You are not quite right to say that temporary objects are always
=>const. I CAN call a non-const method on a temporary object, BUT I
=>cannot bind a temporary object to a non-const reference. [ ... ]

   Right. As I understand it, the real point is that a temporary
is not an lvalue, i.e. something that can appear on the left hand
side of an assignment. You can pass one to a method which takes a
const reference because it can't be written to, but you can't pass
it to a method which takes a non-const reference because that would
imply that you could assign to it, and that requires an lvalue.

					Gary Duzan
					BBN Technologies