[omniORB] Choosing specific end-points

Wernke zur Borg Wernke.zur.Borg at vega.de
Tue Apr 5 10:46:17 BST 2005

Hi Craig,

thanks for your response. I'll try to explain my problem a bit better.

The problem comes up when you run a server with multiple endpoints on
different networks. For simplicity let's say we have endpoints A and B with
IP addresses IP-A and IP-B. Depending on which network a client sits, he
connects to either A or B. When the server encodes IORs for use by clients,
it is mandatory that client A gets IORs with address IP-A encoded, and
client B needs address IP-B encoded in his IORs. Otherwise the client could
not use the IOR for accessing the related object.

For that reason I would need a feature to control the encoding of IORs sent
to clients. The idea was to intercept the client's message and to extract
the client's IP address, from which it would be possible to derive the
correct endpoint, i.e. the correct own IP address to be used in IORs for
that client. But this turned out to become a nightmare (keyword
maintainability!), so we had to look for a cleaner solution. Duncan
suggested to use the IOR IDL to unmarshal and remarshal the IORs, which
would certainly be possible. But you would have to do that for every
incoming and outgoing IORs. I could see a potential problem of relating
incoming and outgoing IOR to each other.

Our way out, as described, is to spawn a new server process for each client.
This new process runs with a fixed endpoint setting that is correct for that
client. This is a relatively simple way, which requires every client to
identify himself so that the correct endpoint can be chosen. It will not be
possible in applications with anonymous clients.

I hope this could clarify my matter. If needed I could give more details on
our solution.

Wernke