[omniORB] TCP timeout delay when host is unreachable

thomas.hautesserres at kodak.com thomas.hautesserres at kodak.com
Tue Sep 28 14:33:57 BST 2004

Hi,

We are using omniORB 4.0.2 on both Solaris and Windows.

We have a problem occuring only for Solaris processes : when an object
reference points to an unreachable host (usually our Naming Service host,
acessed through a corbaname URL), it takes up to 3 minutes for the CORBA
call to return.

As having unreachable remote sites is part of the "normal" situation for
our application (or at least should be supported without large performance
impact), this is somehow not acceptable.

Before sending this mail, I have search the omniORB mailing list archive
and found an email for 1998 about the exact same problem. Here:
http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/1998-October/011748.html

I was wondering:
- First, is there any new configuration item to workaround this problem on
Solaris, either in omniORB or maybe in Solaris system settings?
- If not, if the patch described in the old email still applicable?

Thanks a lot,

Thomas