[omniORB] Omni_mutex and static global object

renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com
Wed Sep 15 18:37:08 BST 2004

I agree... static initializers have haunted projects that I've come into
or been involved with as far back as I can remember.  I used to just make
a static pointer & create it in main.... but then I've started using
singletons with the "instance()", or "GetInstance()" etc...  has worked
flawlessly for at least 8 years in many projects.... INCLUDING libraries.
The only drawback is that you have to do the getinstance() inside the
library itself... which on today's machines isn't all that bad if you
inline it.

Renny Koshy
President & CEO