[omniORB] Fixed structs are returned by value, variable structs by pointer?

Clarke Brunt clarke.brunt at yeomannavigation.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 12:20:09 BST 2004

From: "Alexander Georgiev" <alexander.georgiev at gmail.com>
> I noticed that if I have defined in idl a fixed length structure and a
> var length structure
> and an interface with 2 methods returning instances of these structures:
> the interface methods are mapped differently:
> Why are not they both returned by value?
> is this somehow related with omniORB not supporting value objects?

The CORBA C++ specification states that fixed length structures will be
returned by value, but that variable length structures will be returned as a
pointer. That's just the way it is. If you want, you can probably code
client and server using _var types in such a way that you don't need to
worry about the difference.

--
Clarke Brunt, Principal Software Engineer, Yeoman Navigation