[omniORB] omniEvents 2.6.0 (All new stable release)

Alex Tingle alex.omniorb at firetree.net
Fri Oct 8 20:06:11 BST 2004

Janet,

Janet Tvedt <tvedt at noao.edu> wrote:
> Has anyone done any performance testing with this new version?

I've done some performance testing on my PC (Athlon 2600+, Debian Linux,
2.4 kernel). Server & client on the same machine to factor out network
latency.

>From memory:

For single events, the performance is similar to omniNotify. Latency is
typically 600-900us for a small event (payload one 'long'). omniEvents
scales better than omniNotify though: Latency increases more slowly as
the number of events per second rises.

I've tested an older version of the code with realistic message sizes,
and several suppliers/consumers, and it coped well with >600 events/sec.

I think you'd have to start using non-standard UDP transports to further
improve the latency. The most important factor governing message
throughput is message size.

There is a tool (events) that comes with omniEvents that allows you to
record event streams and play them back later. This allows you to tune
performance with a single known test dataset. If you decide to try this
tuning approach, I'd appeciate a copy of your capture files, and any
comments you have.

regards,

-Alex

--