[omniORB] Re: Setting client socket...

Maks Verver m.verver at student.utwente.nl
Mon Oct 4 15:27:53 BST 2004

Hi Thomas,

> I have a "server" that is in fact the client of another (real) server. I
> had defined bidirectional GIOP between those, and I would like the
> pseudo-server to use a specified port to open connection with the real
> server.
> I had a look to the documentation of omniORB, and all I found is how to
> specify the port on which a server will listen for connections from
> clients, but no information on how to specify a port a client would use to
> connect to a server.

Do you mean the server port (to which a connection is made) or the client port
(from which the connection is made)? The first case is very simple: just set
up the server to publish (only) the SSL/TCP endpoint with your desired port
number. This endpoint will be included in any IOR's generated by the server
so the client will use the desired port to connect to.

As for the second case: I don't know if there is any way to set the client
port, but I can't think of a reason to bother with it. Any free TCP port
should be sufficient; stateful firewalls and routers generally do not care
about the port from which a connection originated.

Kind regards,
Maks Verver.