[omniORB] SSL transport - 30,000 foot view

Burton, Craig CBurton at verisign.com
Mon Nov 15 13:17:18 GMT 2004

I am in the process of rebuilding omniORB with SSL support.  I plan on examining the ssl example to get familiar with the changes, but I have a high-level question about SSL transport in general:  Suppose I have a non-ssl server that is already configured to listen on a particular port, say 10000.  Now, I have a requirement to add ssl support, but not disrupt any IORs that have been disseminated.  Can the server listen for both SSL and non-SSL enabled clients on the same port?

I guess another way to ask this:  is it possible to define two end points within one call to orb_init, one that contains a reference to a tcp endPoint, and another that contains ssl, both defining the same port number?

Thanks in advance,
Craig