[omniORB] Open handles are exhausted on Linux

Matej Kenda matej.kenda at hermes.si
Fri Nov 12 16:43:38 GMT 2004

Hi,

In the application that we develop the following scenario happens on
Linux from time to time:

A process containing CORBA servants is hit by many requests from
different CORBA clients in a short time period. Each of the clients
terminates after sending one request and receiving the answer.

The number of open handles in the servant gets exhausted and the
subsequent outgoing calls fail with CORBA::TRANSIENT
(TRANSIENT_NoUsableProfile). There are a number of sockets in the state
CLOSE_WAIT at that moment.

Increasing the number of open handles helps, but I would like to know if
there is any of the omniORB parameters that I can use to prevent this
situation from happening?

I have tried to set the following parameters, but without any success.

oneCallPerConnection = 0
threadPerConnectionPolicy = 1
threadPerConnectionUpperLimit = 20
threadPerConnectionLowerLimit = 15