[omniORB] pb build omniORB for Windows

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Nov 12 14:36:33 GMT 2004

On Thursday 28 October, Laurent.TESTARD at rsi-france.com wrote:

> I have some troubles using omniORB for windows with an application because
> some compile flags seem to conflict. My existing software needs the option
> "Code Generation" to be set to "Multithreaded" (/MT) and the libs which
> are bundled with omniORB-4.0.3 seem to have the "Multithread DLL" (/MD)
> flag set (am I right/wrong ?). I suspect that can be the cause of the
> crashes that occur while running my application in release mode.

I think /MT means you have to statically link all libraries. Try
linking with the static omniORB libraries.

> Anyway I tried to build omniORB by myself by following the guidelines
> provided in the README.WIN32 file and I had some errors while building
> omniSSL.
> As I never used cygwin before, I wonder if someone can give me a hint in
> order to correct this error or even bypass the build of omniSSL libs
> because I don't use it ?

You seem to be trying to rebuild from the binary distribution. That
has been configured already for what was built. You should instead get
the source distribution and configure that in a way that's appropriate
for your situation.

> Some remarks about the README.WIN32 file :
>
> - it mentions the file VCVARS.BAT but this file does not exist in VC++ 6,
> it is called VCVARS32.BAT instead.

Fair enough.

> - the URLs for python min do not lead to donwloadable files. A minimal
> python seems to be included in the bin directory of omniORB ? Is it
> necessary to download it in order to build the libs ?

What links?  You need a version of Python to build omniidl, either the
full Python distribution from python.org, or the minimal Python 1.5.2
that's downloadable from SourceForge.