[omniORB] Header file conflicts in OS X.

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB at RJRT.com
Mon Nov 8 20:13:01 GMT 2004

Perhaps I was too harsh.

> The reason I went with this is because I found examples of
> exactly this
> usage in the existing HOL source.  See poa.h:441 and poa.h:646.
> Perhaps I was looking at a chunk of the code that you don't like.

Yes, and it does look like it is being used as a boolean in these
cases (sometimes it throws me off that the dialect of C++ that
omniORB has to use doesn't include the "real" bool type...).  So,
maybe is_nil isn't so bad after all.

> I also agree that defining nil is a bit wonky on
> Apple's/Next's part.

That really was the main thing I was trying to say (not that I have
anything against Apple).

> And yes, it's easy enough to #undef nil before including the omniORB
> headers.  I just thought a change along these lines might make some
> future user's life a bit simpler.

Since 'is_nil' is already in use in the CORBA standard in a way that
would preclude its redefinition as a macro, then maybe it wouldn't hurt.

So, why don't you submit a patch?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.