[omniORB] Orb Shutdown.

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Mar 26 12:29:10 GMT 2004

On Saturday 20 March, "Stephen P. White" wrote:

> I'd like to create a simple client callable method which shuts down my
> omniORBpy based server after so many seconds.  However, after the server
> recieves the call I don't want it to accept any more clent calls.  The
> intent is to give the existing threads time to finish up before the
> server is shutdown.  I can easily call the ORB.shutdown() method to
> close the server, but I have not found a way tell the ORB not to except
> any more calls.  Does such a method exist?  If not how do others
> shutdown their orb?

There is no way to do what you ask for. The reason for that is that if
a call in progress caused a recursive call back into the same server
(either directly or indirectly via some remote calls), the shutdown
would deadlock.

Normally you just call orb.destroy() which waits for all calls to
complete. It's possible in a very busy server that it's never safe for
it to finish, but that doesn't usually happen in practice.