[omniORB] omniidl dropping out with an error

Garret Thomson g at sirsonic.com
Thu Mar 25 13:01:56 GMT 2004

When attempting to compile an interface, I'm seeing omniidl drop out with a
python error:

]# /usr/local/bin/omniidl -bcxx -WbBOA Control.idl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/omniidl", line 105, in ?
    omniidl.main.main()
  File "./main.py", line 348, in main
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'alwaysTempFile'

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about Python so I havn't had much
success in debugging this problem .. the line in question from
/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/omniidl/main.py:

    339 def main(argv=None):
    340     global preprocessor_args, preprocessor_only, preprocessor_cmd
    341     global no_preprocessor, backend, backend_args, dump_only, cd_to
    342     global verbose, quiet, print_usage, interactive, temp_file
    343
    344     if argv is None: argv = sys.argv
    345
    346     files = parseArgs(argv[1:])
    347
    349         temp_file = genTempFileName()

This started happening after upgrading from omniORB 3.X to omniORB 4.0.x.
I'm running FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE 0. I tried installing omniORB4 out of
freeBSD ports, and from the 4.0.3 CVS tarball from sourceforge, but both
installs result in this behaviour.

I have a 4.8 box on which the omniidl invokation works just fine, and I
tried copying:

omniidl
omnicpp

and the python site-packages for omniORB from my 4.8 box to my 4.5 box, but
still, no dice. Could this be an issue with Python on my 4.5 box? Any
recognize this problem? Am I missing additional python files I should try
moving from the box its working on to the box its not? I used to work with
omniORB 2 and 3, but this is my first time getting my feet wet in 4.0, so I
hope I'm not missing anything painfully obvious.

Thanks,
Garret