[omniORB] OpenSSL doesn't like certificate

Foust, David (ITCD) dfoust at itcdeltacom.com
Wed Mar 24 13:13:22 GMT 2004

I am trying to implement a very simple CORBA SSL setup, but I have ran into
a pesky error message that I cannot solve. The scenario is this: I have a
very simple IDL, one object one method that is used to pass XML back and
forth. I am only acting as a client also. I have this implemented and
working using visibroker, so I know that my certificates/key/password is ok.
What happens when I implement this in omniorb/openssl, is the method call
fails, with this error message:

omniORB: Client attempt to connect to giop:ssl:139.76.204.44:56700
omniORB: openSSL error detected in sslAddress::connect. Reason:
error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad certificate
omniORB: throw giopStream::CommFailure from
giopStream.cc:1070(1,NO,TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed)

I am setting the three variables, and omni/openssl doesnt seem to complain
about them, as if I change things around to the way they should be it errors
out.

 sslContext::certificate_authority_file = "BSroot.pem";
 sslContext::key_file = "BSclient.pem";
 sslContext::key_file_password = "xxxxxxxxx";

The private key is
RSA
Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED
DEK-Info: DES-EDE3-CBC,C97B9B4087B0D5EA

I have the certificate that was assigned also in the BSclient file, and the
root certificate in the BSroot file.

I do not have any problems all the way up to the method call. I can string
to object and narrow, and it seems happy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

David Foust
ILEC Gateway Developer
ITC DeltaCom