[omniORB] Compiling on windows using mingw32

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Mar 12 16:38:24 GMT 2004

On Thursday 4 March, Christophe de VIENNE wrote:

> I'm currently trying to compile omniORB 4.0.3 under msys/mingw32.
> Since the configure.ac does not detect mingw hosts, it does not work.
> So I tried adding mingw detection, but got lost when editing
> mk/beforeauto.mk. For example I don't know if I should define
> UnixPlatform or Win32Platform. And the whole configuration system looked
> quite complex.

I don't know anything about mingw. If it's most like Visual C++, you
should forget the configure script and deal with platform files like
the normal Windows version. If it provides a fairly Unix like
environment, you should start from the cygwin support.

> By the way, is cross-compiling somehow possible ? and is there any plan
> to use automake someday ?

Cross compiling is possible, but only with the old make system. It
isn't possible with the autoconf build.

I looked into automake when I was doing the autoconf support. It
doesn't support the concept of bits of the system that are built and
then used later on in the rest of the build, and it doesn't do a good
job with C++ things.