[omniORB] Problem with inheritance

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Wed Mar 10 18:51:10 GMT 2004

Quoting Thomas Lockhart <lockhart at fourpalms.org>:
> This seems like it should work; much of my code relies on inherited
> interfaces. If the client knows only about interface A, then the narrow
> operation may not actually communicate with the server since it can
> figure out the "is a" operation from the interface definition itself. So

I'm not sure wether I understand the last one: The IOR from the
server contains the type id of interface B.  The client doesn't
know about B and has no stub code for this.  If the client does
narrow the B object to interface A, a remote call is involved,
right?

> you may find when you increase the debugging levels on both sides that
> the failure is happening on the first transaction.

Yes, I will try that.

> Not sure where to look after that; it may be helpful to know what error
> is actually happening.

The error message at the client side was sth. like "method not
found".  Tomorrow I will try again.  Thanks for the help!

Cheers, WB