[omniORB] Installation problems on SCO OpenServer

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Mar 5 16:59:15 GMT 2004

On Friday 20 February, "Gary Hertel" wrote:

> I'm trying to compile omniorb 4.0.3 on SCO OpenServer 5 since it's one of
> the three platforms I will need to support.  I installed the
> gcc-2.95.2pl1-VOLS.tar, FSUpthreads-3.5-VOLS.tar, python-1.5.2-VOLS.tar, and
> make-3.78.1-VOLS.tar and set the config.mk to the sco platform to get the
> compile scripts working.  However, I'm encountering a few errors that I'm
> not quite sure how to deal with.  I haven't used sco (or linux really) much
> as most of my experience comes from windows development so I'm having a bit
> of difficulty fixing these problems.

The first thing to try is to use the configure script rather than the
old build system. With any luck, that will help. You should also use
Python 2.3, rather than the ancient 1.5.2. At least one of your errors
is a Python problem that has no doubt been fixed in the several years
since 1.5.2.

If there are any problems with omniORB's build on SCO OpenServer, I
have to say that I'm disinclined to modify omniORB's build to fix
them, owing to SCO's crusade against Linux and the GPL.