[omniORB] ORB thread init without static object

Michael Shearer mshearer at aastra.com
Wed Mar 3 13:47:50 GMT 2004

Hi all,

Is there a way to explicitly initialize the omniORB thread without having to rely on the static object 'omni_thread_init' to construct it?  The reason is that I'm using a framework which all my servers/clients inherit from which also uses static objects to initialize certain classes prior to the main() being called.  Some of these classes require that the ORB be running before they can be initialized.  Depending where the objects are initialized or what the compiler/linker did with them, the order in which they are initialized is somewhat random.  Hence I'm stuck in a catch 22.  As a workaround, I'm using GNU specific attributes to change the order in which the static objects are being initialized: __attribute ((init_priority(X))).  However I'd like to use a more generic approach.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Shearer
CVX SS7 Gateway (CSG) Engineer