[omniORB] Basic Question--static port problem

Clarke Brunt clarke.brunt at yeomannavigation.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 18:57:24 BST 2004

> I am trying to run a simple Hello program across the network, but
> having problem setting up the static port . The omni naming service is
> working on the default port 2809 but on starting the server, the
> generated IOR picks up random port greater then 50000. I have tried to
> setup the static port on the server code, but it doesn't seem to work.
> I am trying to run the server on a Mac OS X server and using omniORB
> 4.0.3.
>
> Here is the part of the server code which should set the static port
> for the IOR.
>
>   java.util.Properties props = new java.util.Properties();
> props.put("org.omg.CORBA.ORBpoa_iiop_port", "50011");
> ORB orb = ORB.init(args, props);

Your server program seems to be written in Java, so I don't think that it
can be using OmniORB (which I believe only has C++ and Python versions). You
might well be attempting to use the Omni naming service, and you might also
be trying to access it using an OmniORB client, but. if the server is Java,
then you need to find out what mechanism the Java ORB uses to choose its
port, which has nothing to do with OmniORB (ORBpoa_iiop_port was a setting
specific to OmniORB, version 3 I think).

--
Clarke Brunt, Principal Software Engineer, Yeoman Navigation