[omniORB] A few questions OmniORB

Paul Haesler omniorb at phaesler.org
Fri Jun 18 22:03:10 BST 2004

> Can I know if following features of ORB are available with OmniORB?
> (short answers will be enough). I have tried to look in to various
> docs, but thought that this will be the best and fastest way to get
> most reliable information.

I'm not sure I follow you - you don't seem to be speaking CORBA
very well.  Maybe you need to start reading some docs on that
first.

> 1. Callback
> 2. Notifications

Do CORBA Interceptors do what you want? If so, yes.

> 3. Does it support single as well as multithreaded environment?

"omniORB is designed from the ground up to be fully multi-threaded."

Don't think so.

> 4. Does it support pluggable reactor and transport?

"omniORB can support multiple network transports. All platforms
(usually) have a TCP transport available. Unix platforms support a
Unix domain socket transport. Platforms with the OpenSSL library
available can support an SSL transport."

I've found the source code to be pretty modular and easy to
follow.  It shouldn't be too hard to write your own transport.

Not sure what you mean by "reactor".

> 5. Does it have oneway support?

Bidirectional mode is optional.

> 6. Does it have runtime license checks?

"It is freely available under the terms of the GNU Lesser General
Public License (for the libraries), and GNU General Public License
(for the tools)."

http://www.gnu.org/

> 7. Does it support C++ STL and design patterns binging?

What are you talking about?  How do you binge
on design patterns?  What does this mean??

Why would a CORBA library "support" the STL?  It is written
in C++, so it "depends on" a C++ compiler and standard
library implementation.

I hope this is just poor English.

> 8. Is it compatible with LINUX on MIPS?

Probably - try it and find out.

> 9. Does it support global as well as per request timeout?

Yip.  see the user manual

> 10. Does it have Unicode support?

CORBA does, so omniORB does.

> 11. Does it support required to work across firewalls?

Yes. It's rather nice there which is why we used it.  It let's
you configure the endpoint that it binds to and the endpoint
that it publishes in IORs separately.

You *DO* know what an IOR is, right?

> 12. Does it have naming service and server load balancing service?

It implements the CORBA interoperable naming service.

I think you'd have to implement your own server load balancing
though.