[omniORB] Location forward ignored by IBM's ORB

baileyk at schneider.com baileyk at schneider.com
Tue Jun 15 09:09:35 BST 2004

In case anyone is curious, here's the most likely suspect for my problem.
If there's any more IBM WebSphere users out there that can decipher the
description and explain why it's considered an "application error" I'd love
to hear it.  LOCATION_FORWARD seems like such basic CORBA functionality,
it's hard to believe another ORB can get away with not supporting it
properly, or at least give a good explanation of why it can not.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=InterceptorManager&uid=swg1PQ82971&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en

The stack trace I'm seeing in WebSphere after omniORB replys with
LOCATION_FORWARD is identical to the one in the page referenced above.

Thanks,
Kendall

Sorry to be so cheerful about it all, but
I've been working with omniORB and the IBM ORB for a while
now, and my experience would be that if you've found an
incompatibility, there's a 90% chance that the problem lies
on the IBM side.  If you're feeling brave you may be able to
hack omniORB to work around the IBM bug.

In the end we replaced the IBM ORB with the free pure-Java
JacORB implementation.  The act of replacing the default ORB
in WebSphere was not easy, but it fixed so many bugs it was
more than worth it.

Good luck.