[omniORB] Server on dedicated port

Green, Wallace J wallace.j.green at boeing.com
Wed Jun 9 11:33:18 BST 2004

I am trying to develop a relatively simple server using OmniOrb on
Linux.

I'd like the server to run on a dedicated port.  I'd also like a client
to be able to resolve this server using "resolve_initial_references".
I'm trying to reduce the number of processes running so I'm avoiding the
nameserver.

I have set the server to create an object (with id) using the INSpoa.  I
run the server with the ORBpoaUniquePersistentSystemIds and ORBendPoint
Command line options.  When the server runs, I can see it listening on
the desired port by using "netstat".

I have set an InitRef  entry in the omni configuration file and try to
"resolve_initial_references" in the client.  The
resolve_initial_refererences does return a non-null object, but when
this object is narrowed, I get an error "omniORB: ERROR -- the
application attempted to invoke an operation on a nil reference.".

So, obviously I'm doing something wrong.  Does anyone have any clues?
It would be real nice if someone had a set of example programs which do
this type of operation that work.

Wally Green