[omniORB] Location forward ignored by IBM's ORB

BaileyK at schneider.com BaileyK at schneider.com
Fri Jul 30 09:23:17 BST 2004

Actually I never claimed to have done that.  I did get a response off-list
from someone who had.  Here's his message to me. -- Kendall

Sorry to be so cheerful about it all, but
I've been working with omniORB and the IBM ORB for a while
now, and my experience would be that if you've found an
incompatibility, there's a 90% chance that the problem lies
on the IBM side.  If you're feeling brave you may be able to
hack omniORB to work around the IBM bug.

In the end we replaced the IBM ORB with the free pure-Java
JacORB implementation.  The act of replacing the default ORB
in WebSphere was not easy, but it fixed so many bugs it was
more than worth it.

Good luck.
Paul Haesler

                      "Iltiakov, Alexander "
                      <Alexander.Iltiakov at vignette.        To:       <omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com>
                      com>                                 cc:
                      Sent by:                             Subject:  [omniORB] Location forward ignored by IBM's ORB
                      omniorb-list-bounces at omniorb-
                      support.com

                      07/29/2004 07:00 PM

Hello Kendall,

You said you had successfully replaced IBM ORB by JacORB in WebSphere. How
did you do it?
When I try to prepend the JacORB files to the bootclasspath (in JVM
advanced settings) for a particular application server, the server fails to
start and logs an error about missing IBM files. I use WebSphere 4.04.

Thanks,

Alex.