[omniORB] Authentication; Garbage Collection

Alex Suzuki (ML) ml at cynox.ch
Thu Jul 22 14:48:40 BST 2004

Hello Duncan,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:01:40 +0100, Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote
> You should get Henning and Vinoski's "Advanced CORBA Programming with
> C++". I know you're not using C++, but the book contains lots of very
> useful information about the kind of thing you are trying to do, as
> well as details about the nightmares of the C++ mapping.

Thanks, I wanted to buy that book anyway. I liked your tutorial
("Distributed Applications with Python") by the way :)

> In the book, you'll read about something called the Evictor pattern,
> which I think would be a good solution for you.
>
> Going back to your original email, using reference counting for
> garbage collection is very dangerous. You might trust your clients not
> to maliciously hold on to references, but you can't protect against
> crashes and network failures that cause a client to accidentally keep
> a reference.

I think I know what the Evictor pattern is, do you mean something similar
to page replacement strategies found in operating systems? Like LRU, FIFO
etc.? Isn't this problematic aswell? (Like objects being deallocated or
without clients knowledge)

Regards,
  Alex