[omniORB] loopback and transports

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli at tecnotp.it
Wed Jul 21 15:25:31 BST 2004

Hi all,
    I wonder why OmniORB pretends to have at least one among tcp/ssl/unix
trasports for loopback purposes.
Assume we want to secure all communications issues by a single transport
XXX: this cannot be achieved by specifying just this transport as the only
one to by published by endpoints, since OmniORB doesn't allow for that.
It requires to have one of above hard-coded transports as well, and this
would defeat the security purpose of having an alternative transport only.
But in-process communications is managed by local identities, thus what such
loopback would be useful for ?
On the other hand, inter-process communications are handled by interceptors
and the plug-in transport mechanism.
Any comment is appreciated, thanks.

Renzo Tomaselli