[omniORB] How to fool the system that there is a network connection present?

Alex Tingle alex.tingle at bronermetals.com
Thu Jul 15 11:39:59 BST 2004

> I hope someone will be able to provide me with a solution so I can
> fool/set
> the system so that there is a network present in order for my
> applications
> to work properly without any hardware involved (i.e. no loop back
> network
> cable etc). I'm sure it's possible via some setting but I can't seem
> to find
> it.

Your problem doesn't actually seem to involve omniORB, but what the
heck...

On windows2000 you can create a dummy network connection by installing
a "Microsoft loopback adapter" driver. It's a software-only loopback
network adapter: Here are detailed instructions (for win 2000):

Add a loopback adapter.
1. Select Menu: Start --> Settings --> Control Panel, and then
double-click Add/Remove Hardware.
2. Click [Next] to proceed into the Add/Remove Hardware Wizard.
3. Choose Add/Troubleshoot a device, and then click [Next].
4. Select Add a new device, and then click [Next].
5. Choose No, I want to select the hardware from a list, and then click
[Next].
6. Select Network adapters, and then click [Next].
7. In the Manufacturers box, select Microsoft.
8. In the Network Adapter box, select Microsoft Loopback Adapter, and
then click [Next].
9. Click [Finish].

Set up the new loopback 'device'
1. Select Menu: Start --> Settings --> Control Panel, and then
double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
2. Right click on Local Area Connection X (where X is the highest
numbered Connection available) and select Properties.
3. Verify that this dialogue relates to the Microsoft Loopback Adapter
by checking for that phrase in the Connect Using: field. If You do NOT
see the words Microsoft Loopback Adapter, then you have selected the
wrong Local Area Connection; go back and try another one.
4. Select TCP/IP protocol and then click on Properties.
5. Choose Use the following IP address:.
6. Set IP Address: to <some static address0> and Subnet mask: to
"255.255.255.0". (Default gateway need not be set.) Other values do not
need to be changed from their defaults.
7. Click [OK].

You might need to play with some of the other network settings to
achieve the result you're after. Essentially the loopback device should
bahave just like a plugged in network card.

-Alex Tingle

--
Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer... not a mind reader!