[omniORB] How to fool the system that there is a network connection present?

Andrew Mak makwha at stee.st.com.sg
Thu Jul 15 17:09:05 BST 2004

Hi,

I've encountered a problem with Windows 2000 and later when a network
connection is not live. (i.e plugged into a network). The problem does not
occur in Win NT 4. So here's my problem.

Firstly let me summarise what I'm trying to achieve. Our application runs on
the Windows Platform and can run on Windows NT 4 and later, and normally
runs across multiple PC's using Omniorb. Only for demos we run all our
applications on a standalone computer instead of lugging around a few
laptops. In most cases the laptop will be standalone (no network connection
but fixed IP address). Omniorb works fine as it loops back (127.0.0.1). Our
tasks needs to map a drive to a shared folder (network drive), since
everything is running on the same PC, it needs to map to a local shared
folder.

So here comes the problem:

In Windows NT 4, even without a network connection, Omniorb does not loop
back (it uses the fixed IP specified) + the mapping drive works fine

In Windows 2000 and later, without a network connection, Ominorb detects
this and loops back but our map drive fails as it does not detect a network
connection (even though I've specified a static IP address).

If I plug in a network cable to a network point (i.e. hub) everything can
then work, i.e. map drive and Omniorb doesn't loop back.

I hope someone will be able to provide me with a solution so I can fool/set
the system so that there is a network present in order for my applications
to work properly without any hardware involved (i.e. no loop back network
cable etc). I'm sure it's possible via some setting but I can't seem to find
it.

Thanks in advance..

  /\       |\  /|
 /--\ndrew | \/ |ak