[omniORB] omniorb and classic iostream problems?

renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com renny.koshy at rubixinfotech.com
Thu Jul 1 16:20:57 BST 2004

Dustin:

Sounds like a problem we have with some libs we are using from Excel
Switching / Lucent.... anyways...

1. You can't MIX the two types of object files, as the name mangling and
some other junk is completely different in "classic" vs. "ANSI" modes....
(compat=4, vs compat=5).  They will NOT link/run correctly.

2. We have successfully compiled omniORB for BOTH modes... and use it to
communicate between our many modules.... Almost all the modules are the
new ANSI type code... and a couple use the compat=4 mode.  Earlier on, we
were using Sun RPC... but CORBA/omniORB is *much* better.

3. We have compiled and installed omniORB as "/usr/local/omniORB-CC<nn>"
where nn=42 or 50 (to identify the two modes) and select the correct ones
in the makefile for each project...

4. Anything that *has* to use new compiler options, templates, STL, etc...
is connected to the old code via CORBA -- specifically using omniORB.

5. We have moved any components that needed to be updated... and are on a
migration path that will essentially leave the "classic" code modules as a
CORBA server which is used by the rest of the system.

Hope this makes sense/helps....

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.