[omniORB] ORB_init 3rd parameter

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 1 17:22:16 BST 2004

On Tuesday 8 June, "Frederic Prin" wrote:

> But I think I was not clear enough on my first question: I know the
> default value for 3rd ORB_init param is ""
> (I'm not so dummy ;-) )
> My question was, do "" is equivalent to "omniORB4" when using
> omniORB4.03 ?

Yes, "" is equivalent to "omniORB4".

> So, are ORB_init(argc, argv, "omniORB4") and ORB_init(argc, argv)
> equivalent ?

Yes.

> Or maybe what is the meaning of passing "omniORB4" or "omniORB3" ?
> In fact what I'm looking for is which version of GIOP am I using ?
> I want to be sure to use the GIOP 1.2.

The only difference that "omniORB3" makes is that it warns you that
you're using an obsolete version.

The intention within the CORBA spec is that by giving different ORB id
strings, you can create more than one distinct ORB. omniORB does not
support that, and is very unlikely to ever do so.