[omniORB] Fwd: How to make an application which is both an omniorb client and TAO server

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 1 16:45:32 BST 2004

On Thursday 1 July, Richard Neswold wrote:

> Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
> >> I have a TAO 1.2.1 server which also has to act as a client of
> >> other servers.

[...]
> > I'd stick with TAO for the server.
>
> Wow! The omniORB community let this comment slide for two days?  :-)
>
> I'm curious why you'd prefer TAO for the server, instead of omniORB.
> (I've used omniORB and MICO to familiarize myself with CORBA and haven't
> yet tried TAO.)

The original poster has a TAO server and some omniORB clients to
combine. Server code is generally less portable between ORBs than
client code, so it makes perfect sense to me that she should use TAO
for the combination. Much though I'd like omniORB to take over the
world, I think Thomas' advice is correct here.