[omniORB] Multiple ethernet interfaces

Thierry DESCOMBES descombt at ipnl.in2p3.fr
Fri Jan 23 16:52:15 GMT 2004

At 09:06 23/01/2004 -0600, baileyk at schneider.com wrote:

>I believe the configuration of the ORB is global in terms of what end
>points are published in all IORs that all the POAs generate.  My
>interpretation of your problem is that you have multiple servants in a
>single process, and wish for client to contact some subset of those via one
>network interface and the other subset via the other network interface.  Is
>that correct?

Not exactly, I only have one servant, and I'd like to choose its ethernet
interface, in order to balance the network load.

>I haven't  tried such a thing myself.  My guess would be to configure the
>ORB to listen on both interfaces, but publish only one host address.  Then
>for those object references that you wish to use the non-published host
>address exclusively, use the convertior utility (or code similar to that
>found in the utility) ot swap in the desired host name.  The convertior
>program is part of the omniORB distribution.

I think this could be done easily without modifying by hand the IOR.

I wish to have on a single computer, 3 ethernet adapters. 2 adapters will
use 2 IPs of the same network class adress (private network in my case).
For example A, and B. The third one, C, will use another network class
adress (public in my case).
A et B are connected to my clients. Clients connected to A are configured
to consider A as the gateway. Clients connected to B are configured to
consider B as the gateway.
I want my servant to use the IP of C. By this way, clients connected to A
can access my servant through the ethernet interface A, and clients
connected to B through the ethernet interface B. This work fine...

The only remaining problem is that I need to impose my servant to be
referenced with the interface C !!!
Please help....

Cheers,
Thierry