[omniORB] Bus Error with omnithreads on solaris 2.8 gcc 3.3 and 2.95.3

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Jan 21 16:28:45 GMT 2004

On Thursday 15 January, Fred Cook wrote:

> We are having an odd problem with our solaris port.  It's simple code,
> that works on linux.
>
>     short result = 0;
>     foo* fooThread = new foo(parms);
>     fooThread->join((void*) &result);
>
> It's the fooThreads->join statement that is causing the problems.  We
> have compiled the code with both gcc 2.95.2 and 3.3 that were obtained
> from www.sunfreeware.com.  gcc -dumpspecs did talk about pthreads, since
> we didn't build them, we can't be sure though.  There was some reference
> to this problem in the mailing list, but no answer was provided.  Any
> one have any insight.

I'd certainly suggest building your own gcc, just so you know it's got
the right options.

One thought is that maybe the thread hasn't started by the time you
call join(), and maybe that's upsetting Solaris. Try putting a sleep
in before calling join(). If that doesn't help, I don't know what else
it might be, I'm afraid. Try looking at exactly where it blows up in a
debugger.