[omniORB] omniORB over SSH w/ port forwarding?

Gary Duzan gduzan at bbn.com
Wed Jan 14 10:45:46 GMT 2004

In Message <008e01c3dab1$0e8faf70$0203a8c0 at cottontail> ,
   "Dietmar May" <dcmay at dmis.com> wrote:

=>Is it possible to use omniORB with SSH using the port forwarding feature of
=>SSH?
=>
=>In order to do so, all messages would need to go through a single port, and
=>it must be possible to specify to both the server and the client which port
=>to use.
=>
=>It appears that the server side port can be controlled by the Endpoint
=>omniORB.cfg entry. Specifying the client side seems less clear.
=>
=>So, any pointers on how to use omniORB with SSH would be appreciated.

   I haven't tried this, but it occurs to me that if you only need
to have these two endpoints talking to each other, or you do
point-to-point SSH tunnels everywhere, and you can fix the ports, you
could configure all your ORB processes to only listen on localhost. Then
on each end you forward a local port with the same number as the
opposite end's port. In this setup all the object references that the
system generates would point to localhost, but the localhost ports would
always tunnel to the right host. I don't think you need to worry about
what the client ports are in this case.

   The down side, of course, is that you have to do port forwarding for
each service on each host, and you have to have globally unique port
numbers. Still it might solve someone's problem, and it would be fun to
try. :-)

					Gary Duzan
					BBN Technologies
					A Verizon Company