[omniORB] Bypass name server?

scott.rediger at teradyne.com scott.rediger at teradyne.com
Tue Jan 6 09:41:50 GMT 2004

>I have a server  program using omniORB (2.8...) that registers itself to
omninames.
>Client programs can  then query the nameserver to get the info to
communicate with the  server.
>For testing purpose,  I would like to bypass the nameserver query phase
and talk directly to  my server.
>Is that possible?  How?

You simply need to know the stringified IOR of your server object. All the
nameserver is doing is storing this stringified IOR under a naming graph.
The way I have always used for testing is to have the server object output
its IOR to a file or stdout. If you want to you can even pull it out of the
name service manually using the utility 'nameclt resolve
<path>/<objectname>'

Then you can pass that IOR string into your test client program as a
command line argument and then resolve it manually in the client code with:
      CORBA::Object_var obj = orb->string_to_object(argv[1]);

Hope this helps.
ScottR