[omniORB] Generating seperate stubs for structs and sequences

baileyk at schneider.com baileyk at schneider.com
Wed Feb 11 14:00:54 GMT 2004

I'm not convinced that splitting up IDL files into many small files is
going to save you compile time.  I haven't done detailed analysis, but I
suspect that the biggest compile time overhead is swallowing the ORB
headers themselves (template declarations, etc..), and not the headers
coming out of the IDL compiler.  By splitting up your IDL you will have to
manage many more source files (and dependencies) and may not see compile
times improve much if at all.  Reducing C++ compile time is probably best
tackled by throwing more hardware at it.  Is there any way to distribute
your C++ compiles to multiple CPUs/machines?  I'm just afraid you are
signing up for many many more man hours of work in the long run to save a
little cpu time.  A better bargain might be to buy more/faster hardware to
do compiles on.

Kendall

                      Mike Mascari
                      <mascarm at mascari.com>                To:       Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org>
                      Sent by:                             cc:       omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com
                      omniorb-list-bounces at omniorb-        Fax to:
                      support.com                          Subject:  Re: [omniORB] Generating seperate stubs for structs and sequences

                      02/11/2004 01:35 PM

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 February, Mike Mascari wrote:
>

>>I have a code generation utility, which, examining relation variables
>>and/or query result, will generate IDL like the above and a C++ wrapper
>>class.
>
> It wouldn't be terribly hard to modify the IDL compiler backend to do
> that. Alternatively, you could write a script to process the IDL
> compiler output into separate files. By far the easiest thing, though,
> is probably to make it so that your code generator generates lots of
> separate IDL files.

Okay. I'll change it to generate individual IDLs. I was hoping there
was a backend switch I was missing. Is there an equivalent to 'cc
-M' that I should be aware of? How do people handle inter-IDL file
depedency generation? Or is it an issue in 99% of the cases?

Mike Mascari